Friday, May 15, 2009

The Compassionate Caregiver

People go see shrinks because they can no longer go on in their lives without help. They have either come to realize this on their own, or their circumstances have forced them to this decision. It is also true that the matter might have been decided for them, in a courtroom or even in a living room. Whatever the reason, though, the fact remains that people do end up in therapy, in a room with themselves and another person: a counselor or therapist. Me. I am going to be that person.

Why did I choose to become a counselor? I actually am not one yet but am on the verge of starting my first practicum (or internship) at a drug and alcohol recovery center. It is a sobering thought.

My daughter and I saw the image above on a refrigerator magnet a few years ago and both found it quite amusing. This was actually before I made the decision to become a counselor. I am thinking about displaying it in my office to help crack the ice with my clients but am not sure whether the humor would be appreciated by everyone. Humor is "funny" that way, you know.

3 comments:

Robin Turner said...

An old social worker friend once shared that a colleague of hers had declared that the DSM would be more elegant reduced to two simple categories: "Dumber 'n rocks, or crazy as hell." ;-)

What an adventure you are about to begin!

Anonymous said...

Love the cartoon, Jenny. Oh, there is so much satire that can be pulled from therapy (or "therapy") that the laughs will last a lifetime. Well, the sorrows may too.

So let's stick to laughter when we can.

Good luck in your practicum!

Jen said...

Hi, Robin and Elizabeth. I appreciate your comments. Ideally, a counselor wants to facilitate in such a way that a person becomes his or her own counselor, right? In other words, the idea is to be so good that you work yourself out of a job. My real fear is that I will be revealed as the screwed up one. :)

It is going very well so far, though. Perhaps the most gratifying part of the work is coming to find out the real extent of the helping community. For example, I did not realize that the Dallas police department initiated a program called New Life Opportunities that helps prostitutes get off the streets and get their lives together. The center where I work is one of the places these women end up as a place to begin that journey to a new life. It is pretty cool.